And Laban answered and said to Jacob, These daughters are my daughters, and these children are my children…
1. False accusers, though silent at a just defence, yet are not ready to clear the innocent.
2. Guilt makes wicked men dumb to answer the plea of the righteous. Laban knew his guilt, but owns it not.
3. Proud oppressors, when they cannot hurt, yet they brag all is theirs.
4. Unnatural parents, when found out, pretend nearness and interest in their offspring.
5. Cruelty is sometimes crafty to pretend to spare for relation's sake (ver. 43).
6. Bloody men overawed by God are forced to seek peace with the righteous whom they hate.
7. Oppressors are wily to secure their peace by covenant with the innocent when forced to it.
8. Crafty persecutors overcome desire engagement from the persecuted for their safety (ver. 44).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Laban answered and said unto Jacob, These daughters are my daughters, and these children are my children, and these cattle are my cattle, and all that thou seest is mine: and what can I do this day unto these my daughters, or unto their children which they have born?
WEB: Laban answered Jacob, "The daughters are my daughters, the children are my children, the flocks are my flocks, and all that you see is mine: and what can I do this day to these my daughters, or to their children whom they have borne?