And Mizpah; for he said, The LORD watch between me and you, when we are absent one from another.…
1. The purposes of wicked men are not in their own hands to effect them. Laban goeth changed home.
2. Furious pursuits of the innocent God turneth to early departures of their enemies.
3. Overruling Providence can make unnatural men show natural affection.
4. Wicked men are convinced there cometh good to men only from the blessing of God.
5. Ungodly ones may use forms of blessing when yet they can procure none from God.
6. God turns oppressors to their own with rebukes who thirsted after the possessions of the innocent (ver. 55). So God delivereth His out of temptations.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Mizpah; for he said, The LORD watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another.