And Jacob went on his way, and the angels of God met him.…
1. Laban's departure and Jacob's progress are adjoining. Oppressors retreat and saints advance.
2. God's servants are careful to move in their own way enjoined by God.
3. In their way commanded, God appoints His angels to meet them (Psalm 91:2, 4). God with His angels appears to comfort His, after conflicts with their adversaries (ver. 1).
5. God sometimes affords His visible helps unto visible troubles for His saints' support.
6. God's angels are God's mighty host indeed, and that in the judgment of the saints.
7. Not single angels but troops God appoints for the guard of single saints.
8. God's saints desire to call mercies by their right names. God's angels are called God's hosts.
9. It is proper to God's saved ones, to leave memorials of God's strength in saving them (ver. 2).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jacob went on his way, and the angels of God met him.