And Jacob sent messengers before him to Esau his brother to the land of Seir, the country of Edom.…
1. Faith in prayer to God is the saints' immediate help against fear in the hour of temptation.
2. The saints' providence for themselves is but in order to their refuge in God.
3. God in gracious relations to poor souls is the proper object of prayer.
4. Saints may be bold to fly to God for help in the execution of His commands.
5. God in the promise of grace to His people is the special object of their faith and prayer.
6. Special faith evidencing and applying promises is very necessary to effectual prayer in temptation (ver. 9).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jacob sent messengers before him to Esau his brother unto the land of Seir, the country of Edom.