So went the present over before him: and himself lodged that night in the company.…
1. Honest hearts do not only intend good, but see it done, before they rest.
2. Means lawful being used for safety, men may better lie down in peace.
3. It behoveth masters of families to rest among the charge, when it may be (ver. 21).
4. Diligence and early care of their's becomes Governors of families in times of danger.
5. Wives and children are the chiefest matter of a man's care and providence.
6. It is fatherly care to see as much as they can wives and children past danger (ver. 22).
7. It is the duty of the father of the family to order the motions of all under him.
8. After wives and children, substance is to be cared for, to keep it safe, for subsistence (ver. 23).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: So went the present over before him: and himself lodged that night in the company.