And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray you, your name. And he said, Why is it that you do ask after my name?…
1. God's blessing on His saints unites their hearts unto Him to seek His praise.
2. Saints ascribe all their blessings to the face or favour of God.
3. Gracious souls desire that exaltations of God be monumental and perpetual.
4. God's face-discoveries have been in measure to sight towards His saints of old.
5. God's sensible discoveries of Himself have been dangerous to the life of His saints (Daniel 8:27).
6. God's appearance, visible in grace, hath been to the preservation of humbled souls (ver. 30).
7. God giveth a pass to His servants in their way after He hath tried them.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.