And Jacob journeyed to Succoth, and built him an house, and made booths for his cattle…
1. Providence in love carrieth on his own after removing of blocks from their way.
2. The movings and journeyings of his own, providence guides, as of the wicked, but with distinction.
3. Esau under providence may be carried to Seir, strong mountains, but Jacob to Succoth, a poor cottage and a booth..
4. Under providence it concerns good householders to build shelters, for themselves, families, and cattle.
5. Such common works of saints are recorded as pleasing unto God.
6. Jacob's seed are careful to keep booth-providences in remembrance, Name of place showeth this.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jacob journeyed to Succoth, and built him an house, and made booths for his cattle: therefore the name of the place is called Succoth.