So Jacob came to Luz, which is in the land of Canaan, that is, Bethel, he and all the people that were with him.…
1. God securing His by His terrors upon enemies, they come in safety where God calleth them.
2. Names of places old and new may be indifferently used without superstition.
3. God's providence brings all with Jacob into the place of His security (ver. 6).
4. Jacob is working to honour providence, even as that worketh to save them.
5. Double indigitation of God's name do His saints make upon continued goodness.
6. The revelation of God by Himself or angels requireth worship from His saints to the utmost (ver. 7).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: So Jacob came to Luz, which is in the land of Canaan, that is, Bethel, he and all the people that were with him.