And the days of Isaac were an hundred and fourscore years.…
1. God brings at last His Jacob and Church to their desired place in their pilgrimage.
2. God makes good His word in making Jacob successor to Abraham and Isaac in their sojourning (ver. 27).
3. The blessing of long life God grants to His servants, when and where it may be beneficial to His Church (ver. 28).
4. Expiration and dissolution are the appointed conditions of saints in order unto glory.
5. Saints in dissolution go out of the world unto their own people.
6. Old age or fulness of days is given here sometimes to God's saints, i.e., days full of work, as well as many.
7. Nature and grace agree to evince and perform the duty of burial.
8. It is piety to parents deceased so to order their burial and interment that it may be comely and honourable.
9. The death as well as the life of saints God recordeth for His Church's instruction, and to point out distinct periods (ver. 29).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the days of Isaac were an hundred and fourscore years.