Now these are the generations of Esau, who is Edom.…
The name and line of the wicked are mentioned by God's Spirit for distinction, not for honour to them.
2. Horites, Hittites, and Hivites are the national titles of the same sort of sinful people.
3. Uncleanness and unnaturalness are recorded in the wicked's line to make them stink.
4. A numerous progeny with dignity may be the portion of the wicked here below.
5. Affinity with persons that are wicked, usually bring souls to affinity with their sins.
6. God suffers and orders the wicked to join so in affinity, in order to the destroying of each other. So it was with Seir and Edom (ver. 20-30.)
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Now these are the generations of Esau, who is Edom.