And when they saw him afar off, even before he came near to them, they conspired against him to slay him.…
1. The sight of the righteous, whom the wicked hate, is an occasion of working mischief and evil to them.
2. The looks of the wicked is for the mischief of those good souls, who look and seek for their peace.
3. Subtlety and conspiracy for death is the wicked's practice against innocent gracious souls (ver. 18).
4. The wicked encourage each other in evil matters to committing them.
5. Vile persons jeer and scorn the revelations of God under terms of contempt. Dreamer (ver. 19).
6. Sinners persecute the saints for God's revelations to them.
7. Providence suffers sinners to breathe death and destruction to saints, when they effect it not.
8. Murderers themselves are ashamed to own blood-guiltiness, therefore seek to hide it.
9. Brother's blood is not pitied with men of sin.
10. Evil men design to frustrate the counsels and revelation of God by their crafty and cruel practices (ver. 20).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And when they saw him afar off, even before he came near unto them, they conspired against him to slay him.