And when they saw him afar off, even before he came near to them, they conspired against him to slay him.…
1. Under Providence innocent souls come in their integrity into the hands of spoilers.
2. Simple, honest hearts, may think of coming to brethren when it is to cruel destroyers.
3. Unnatural treacherous dealers stick not to take a garment from a brother.
4. Garments of pleasure may expose men to envy and spoil by wicked hands (ver. 23).
5. Violent hands are soon layed even upon an innocent brother by envious and enraged spirits.
6. Brethren degenerate into spoilers, stick not at it to bury an innocent brother alive.
7. God emptieth the pits of water where He will not have His innocents perish.
8. Dry pits of trouble are in God's Use, tokens of deliverance. Joseph shall come out (ver. 24).
(G. Hughes, B. D)
Parallel VersesKJV: And when they saw him afar off, even before he came near unto them, they conspired against him to slay him.