And Judah said to Onan, Go in to your brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to your brother.…
Vain parents take little knowledge of God's judgments in the death of one child when they have others.
2. Special law for the marriage of the deceased brother's wife by the brother was given of God for special ends.
3. Seed was much desirable and is so in the Church of God; for which such laws were made (ver. 8).
4. Wicked creatures are selfish in duty, therefore unwilling to seek any good but their own.
5. Self-pollution, destruction of the seed of man, envy to brethren, are Onan's horrid crimes (ver. 9).
6. Onans may be in the visible Church.
7. Such uncleanness is very grievous in God's sight.
8. Exemplary death may be expected from God by such transgressors (ver. 10).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.