Then said Judah to Tamar his daughter in law, Remain a widow at your father's house, till Shelah my son be grown: for he said…
1. A lustful eye will quickly turn the foot out of the way to sin. Connection (ver" 15).
2. Men of lustful hearts turn of their own accord to evil with others without invitation.
3. Digression from men's lawful way tends to transgression against God and man.
4. Lust is a hard solicitor for its unclean enjoyments.
5. Lust runs blindfold even to defile near relations, and enquireth not.
6. Sometimes lust is put to it to pay a price for its pleasure. The whorish custom (ver. 16).
7. Unclean persons stick not to lessen their flock for increase of lust, so of estates.
8. Adulterous spirits are not credible with their own paramours; a price or pledge must be given (ver. 17).
9. Wicked hearts stick not at pledge or price unto whorish women for enjoying lust.
10. Unclean creatures are subtle to have a great pledge for a small price.
11. Be it ever so great, lust will give it to the whorish woman for its pleasure.
12. Blind lust doth not only solicit but violate nearest relations when it can.
13. Providence denieth not conception sometimes to the most incestuous mixtures of men and women.
14. It is the order of providence that conception should be for Judah as well as by him (ver. 18).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then said Judah to Tamar his daughter in law, Remain a widow at thy father's house, till Shelah my son be grown: for he said, Lest peradventure he die also, as his brethren did. And Tamar went and dwelt in her father's house.
WEB: Then Judah said to Tamar, his daughter-in-law, "Remain a widow in your father's house, until Shelah, my son, is grown up;" for he said, "Lest he also die, like his brothers." Tamar went and lived in her father's house.