And they dreamed a dream both of them, each man his dream in one night, each man according to the interpretation of his dream…
1. God keeps time punctually in making good His word for good and evil unto creatures.
2. Man's day and God's may meet together for fulfilling God's will revealed.
3. The birthday's celebration is a heathenish practice and invention (ver. 20).
4. Such times worldly powers used to give out favours or frowns, to kill and keep alive.
5. Where God hath spoken of restitution to liberty and honour, there it is done (ver. 21).
6. Where God hath foretold of death and destruction, there it surely comes to pass (ver. 22).
7. Men restored to liberty and prosperity are apt to forget adverse conditions.
8. Carnal men usually prove unthankful for and unmindful of good done to them in misery.
9. God useth the forgetfulness of creatures to bring about His gracious end to His saints.
10. Unkindnesses from creatures are but to make His saints learn more patience toward God (ver. 23).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And they dreamed a dream both of them, each man his dream in one night, each man according to the interpretation of his dream, the butler and the baker of the king of Egypt, which were bound in the prison.
WEB: They both dreamed a dream, each man his dream, in one night, each man according to the interpretation of his dream, the cupbearer and the baker of the king of Egypt, who were bound in the prison.