And the seven years of plenty, that was in the land of Egypt, were ended.…
1. Providence orders some countries to depend on others for their sustenance.
2. Wants make nations stoop and seek about for the support of life.
3. Grace can make poor captives become preservers of nations.
4. Sore plagues may be made to make men inquire after and prize abused mercies.
5. General judgments are sent to manifest God's special ends of grace to His (ver. 57).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the seven years of plenteousness, that was in the land of Egypt, were ended.