If you be true men, let one of your brothers be bound in the house of your prison: go you, carry corn for the famine of your houses:…
1. To prove truth among national parties, it is not unequal to give hostages.
2. Hostages being taken it is but equal that parties have liberty to manifest truth.
3. Nature will not, much less grace, dispatch hungry men without food.
4. Bread-corn is the break-neck of hunger (ver. 19).
5. Reasonable testimonies of truth may be peremptorily demanded of suspected persons.
6. Justification and security are to be afforded to men of truth.
7. It is reasonable for men under trials to yield to just terms for deliverance (ver. 20).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: If ye be true men, let one of your brethren be bound in the house of your prison: go ye, carry corn for the famine of your houses: