And they came to Jacob their father to the land of Canaan, and told him all that befell to them; saying,…
1. Providence carrieth guilty souls in, through, and out of temporal dangers at His will.
2. Gracious fathers are gratified sometimes from God by safe return of sinful children.
3. Reason will instruct men to declare all events of Providence furthering, or hindering in the way (ver. 29).
4. In relation of providential events truth must be declared; yet no need of telling all.
5. In relating providences, evil men are willing to hide sins which caused them.
6. It concerns suspected, and accused persons to declare what is required for their purgation. Upon this these sons of Jacob make this narration of themselves and others (vers. 30-34).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And they came unto Jacob their father unto the land of Canaan, and told him all that befell unto them; saying,