And there went a man of the house of Levi, and took to wife a daughter of Levi.…
1. Providence is preparing good, while wickedness is working evil to the Church.
2. Lines, tribes, and persons are appointed by God, by whom He will work good to His people.
3. In the desolations of the Church's seed, God will have His to marry and continue it.
4. Tribes cursed for their desert, may be made instrumental of good by grace.
5. Choice and taking in marriage should be under Providence, free, and rational (ver. 1).
6. The greatest instruments of the Church's good God ordereth to being in the common way of man.
7. God ordereth, in His wisdom, instruments of salvation to be born in times of distinction.
8. No policies or cruelties of man can hinder God from sending saviours to His Church (ver. 2).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And there went a man of the house of Levi, and took to wife a daughter of Levi.