And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the LORD met him, and sought to kill him.…
1. After greatest encouragements may bitter discoveries be made from God to His servants.
2. In the way of obedience, God's servants may meet with the sharpest temptations.
3. The place intended for rest by us may be turned into a place of trouble by God. The inn.
4. Jehovah Himself may meet His dearest servants as an adversary.
5. God may seek to kill, when He purposeth not to kill His servants.
6. It is some sad defects in God's servants that put Him upon such attempts (ver. 24).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the LORD met him, and sought to kill him.