And afterward Moses and Aaron went in, and told Pharaoh, Thus said the LORD God of Israel, Let my people go…
1. God's ambassadors must proceed orderly in delivering their message — first to Israel, secondly to Pharaoh.
2. Order of persons as well as time is observable by God's servants.
3. The poorest persons under God's authority may press into the presence of the proudest kings.
4. God's ambassadors must speak and declare His will to the greatest potentates.
5. God's messengers must go in His authority and vouch His name,
6. The true way of making out God unto man is concretely not abstractly. Every nation acknowledgeth God, but not Israel's God.
7. The true God hath a peculiar people whom He owneth in the world.
8. The will of God is to have His people set free from all that hinders them from Him.
9. The end of all redemption is that God's people should serve Him.
10. The true service of God is a festival living to Him.
11. Such feasting with God is better in the wilderness than in Egypt.
12. All such feasting, sacrificing, and worship must terminate in Jehovah.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And afterward Moses and Aaron went in, and told Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Let my people go, that they may hold a feast unto me in the wilderness.