These are the generations of Shem: Shem was an hundred years old, and begat Arphaxad two years after the flood:…
1. God's providence hath pointed out His Church and recorded its line, after as before the flood; herein helping the faith of following ages.
2. God chooseth what generations and families He pleaseth to pitch His Church in them.
3. A family God may choose out of the world to set His name upon them, when the world is passed by; a few or little remnant God reserveth.
4. Every generation in the Church from the flood is but to bring Christ nearer.
5. Times are appointed for the birth of everyone in the Church for His work (ver. 10).
6. Length of days, etc., God giveth to His chief witnesses, as Shem was to Isaac's days; much work he had to do in that compass of time.
7. The eminentest in the Church, may have many children degenerate from it. More care should be used to keep them closer to God (ver. 11).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: These are the generations of Shem: Shem was an hundred years old, and begat Arphaxad two years after the flood: