Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt…
1. Miracles from God will not persuade wicked hearts to believe.
2. Unbelieving sinners are apt to call in all instruments of Satan to gainsay God.
3. Providence hath of old suffered wisdom to be abused to sorcery and pernicious acts (ver. 11).
4. God hath suffered creatures by Satan's help to do some like things to His miracles.
5. Under God's permission Satan may work strange changes in creatures, but no miracles.
6. God's true miracles devour all lying wonders of Satan (ver. 12).
7. Wicked hearts harden themselves by lying wonders against God, and therefore are hardened by Him.
8. The fruit of such hardening is rebellion against God's word and will.
9. God's word is made good in all the disobedience of the wicked foretold (ver. 13).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments.