And the LORD said to Moses, Say to Aaron, Stretch out your rod, and smite the dust of the land…
1. The devil will try his utmost to counterwork God.
2. The devil is impotent upon the least check from God.
3. God's power sets on His judgments when the power of Satan fails (ver. 18).
4. The devil's instruments are forced at last to say they are against God, and He against them.
5. God's finger or the least of His power makes the devil and his instruments fail.
6. Innate unbelief loves to be kept up by liars, but will not yield when they fail.
7. Treble hardening comes on the wicked by treble judgments.
8. God's word faileth not which He hath spoken of the sin and judgment of wicked persecutors (ver. 19).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the LORD said unto Moses, Say unto Aaron, Stretch out thy rod, and smite the dust of the land, that it may become lice throughout all the land of Egypt.