And the LORD said to Moses and to Aaron, Take to you handfuls of ashes of the furnace…
1. Experience of the devil's helplessness against God will not persuade the wicked to desist from him.
2. God's boil shall come upon these wicked instruments, do the devil what he can against it.
3. All Satan's instruments are vanquished at the appearance of God's plague (ver. 11).
4. The great God observes and judgeth to obduration sinners who harden themselves against His judgments.
5. Obduration from God's giving men up to their own lusts makes them more to stop their ears and turn their hearts from His word.
6. God's foreseeing and foresaying order (or limit) the issues of rebellion in the wicked against Himself (ver. 12).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the LORD said unto Moses and unto Aaron, Take to you handfuls of ashes of the furnace, and let Moses sprinkle it toward the heaven in the sight of Pharaoh.