And you shall show your son in that day, saying, This is done because of that which the LORD did to me when I came forth out of Egypt.…
1. The instruction of children is a duty upon parents.
2. God commands continuance of ordinances for instruction of posterity.
3. The reason of God's ordinances must be understood by parents and children (ver. 8).
4. Sacramental signs, and memorials of God, He is pleased to give His Church.
5. God would have these signal memorials at hand and before the eyes of His.
6. The Passover was a true sacramental sign and seal of God's covenant.
7. By sacraments rightly used God's covenant is confirmed on hearts and in profession.
8. God's mighty gracious redemption is a just cause of such memorials (ver. 9).
9. God's sacraments are His statutes and positive laws.
10. It is God s prerogative, to make anniversary memorials of His mercies (ver. 10).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And thou shalt shew thy son in that day, saying, This is done because of that which the LORD did unto me when I came forth out of Egypt.