And the angel of God, which went before the camp of Israel, removed and went behind them…
1. God in Christ moveth Himself in His hand or work where the Church doth most need help. Before and behind Israel is He.
2. God by Christ the Angel of His Covenant hath given and doth give all help to His Church (ver. 19).
3. God sets His posture for help between cruel persecutors and His Church.
4. The very same means God makes to darken His enemies which enlighten His people. So the gospel.
5. This interposition of God keeps the wicked world from destroying His Church (ver. 20).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the angel of God, which went before the camp of Israel, removed and went behind them; and the pillar of the cloud went from before their face, and stood behind them: