And Joshua discomfited Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword.
1. Hands of creature-instruments may be helpful under God, to give His Church success against its enemies.
2. Such hands lifted up to heaven in prayer, and for encouragement, God doth assist unto prevalency.
3. Hands hanging down and feeble in prayer, may give opportunity unto enemies to prevail.
4. Such languishings after strong strugglings, God sometimes orders upon His choicest servants.
5. Doubtful may be the fight of Israel as to success against its enemies for a time (ver. 11).
6. Heaviness of flesh and spirit in contending with God for Israel may sometimes befall Moses (Matthew 26:41, 43).
7. Suitable support under such delinquencies are very requisite for God's servants. Christ the stone to us.
8. Good helpers to strengthen hearts and hands in faintings are specially useful.
9. By such helps souls may be stedfast and faithful unto God unto time of victory (ver. 12).
10. Moses praying and Joshua fighting, Amalek must fail, when prayer puts the edge on the sword it is furbished to the slaughter.
11. It is God's just ordering that they who first oppress with the sword, shall perish by the sword (ver. 13).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Joshua discomfited Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword.