And Jethro rejoiced for all the goodness which the LORD had done to Israel, whom he had delivered out of the hand of the Egyptians.…
1. The Church's friends rejoice in all the good done for it, and deliverance of it.
2. As Jehovah is the cause of good and deliverance to His Church, so He is the object of their joy (ver. 9).
3. Joyful hearts for the Church's good are thankful hearts to God for the same.
4. Deliverance of special relations, but especially of the Church, from powers of enemies is just matter of thanksgiving (ver. 10).
5. Experience of the mighty works of God perfects the knowledge of Himself.
6. The great works of God set Him above all that are so called.
7. The pride of enemies exalts the power of God above them (ver. 11).
8. Knowledge of God is best expressed in sacrificing and worship of Him.
9. Holy feasting is consistent with God's holy worship.
10. God's glory must terminate all sacrificing and eating among His people.
11. Eminent members of the Church may not disdain communion with true proselytes (ver. 12).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jethro rejoiced for all the goodness which the LORD had done to Israel, whom he had delivered out of the hand of the Egyptians.