And there was a famine in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there; for the famine was grievous in the land.…
1. Approach to danger hastens on temptation upon God's own eminent ones.
2. Places of refuge may prove places of danger and distress to God's own.
3. Fear may overtake believers and weaken faith in times of danger.
4. Fear may put saints upon carnal Consultations for their security.
5. Beauty is a shrewd snare for them that have it, and them that love it (ver. 11).
6. Lust is baited with beauty to the violation of nearest bonds, even between husband and wife.
7. Raging lust is cruel even to destroy any that hinders it.
8. Lust spares its darling, and favours it, only to abuse it (ver. 12).
9. Believers may be so tempted as to make lies their refuge, and dissemble.
10. Self-good and security may put the faithful upon bad shifts to compass it, so here; but as a way-mark to avoid it (ver. 13).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And there was a famine in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there; for the famine was grievous in the land.