And Moses' father in law said to him, The thing that you do is not good.…
1. God may use men of mean, calling, and endowments to help for prudentials, for government in His Church.
2. The most morally good government may not be good in natural or civil respects (ver. 17).
3. Imprudential over-acting in doing judgment may consume rulers and people.
4. Good and righteous work may be too heavy for the best and strongest shoulders.
5. Solitariness in dealing judgment may carry great weakness in it.
6. It is good prudence to undertake burdens proportionable for strength and no more (ver. 18).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Moses' father in law said unto him, The thing that thou doest is not good.