And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightning, and a thick cloud on the mount…
1. God seeth need for His ministers testifying and pressing on people His will when men do not.
2. The Mediator's descent to men hinders not His ascent to God again for their good.
3. None but mediators must come so near to God as He appoints them.
4. Such as do, though under pretence of holiness, must perish (ver. 24).
5. The Mediator, as He must, so is He willing to be with God's people at the law-giving.
6. It is Mediator's work to teach all to souls that may fit them to a due reception of God's covenant (ver. 25).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled.
WEB: It happened on the third day, when it was morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud on the mountain, and the sound of an exceedingly loud trumpet; and all the people who were in the camp trembled.