If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished…
1. God supposeth the cruel smitings of masters, but alloweth them not.
2. God foreseeth the sufferings of poor slaves, and provides in His law against it.
3. The perishing of the least member of servants, even of a tooth, God will require of superiors (ver. 26).
4. God by His law depriveth those men of lordship, who abuse their power cruelly over servants.
5. Bond and free are equally considered by God in His law without respect of persons. He makes the oppressed free (vers. 26, 27).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.