And I will set your bounds from the Red sea even to the sea of the Philistines, and from the desert to the river…
1. God is the sovereign boundmaker to all nations on the earth.
2. Among all God hath promised to set the bounds of His Church on earth.
3. God's suppression of His adversaries is a token of His settling His Church's habitation (ver. 31).
4. No covenant with idolatrous adversaries must be made by the Church against God's will.
5. No covenant can be made with idolaters, but it will be with their idols, viz., devils (ver. 32).
6. Converse with idolaters is very dangerous to make men such sinners against God.
7. Such sinning with idolaters is a snare, which will keep souls to destruction.
8. All such sins must be avoided, that God's promise of good may be obtained (ver. 33).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And I will set thy bounds from the Red sea even unto the sea of the Philistines, and from the desert unto the river: for I will deliver the inhabitants of the land into your hand; and thou shalt drive them out before thee.
WEB: I will set your border from the Red Sea even to the sea of the Philistines, and from the wilderness to the River; for I will deliver the inhabitants of the land into your hand, and you shall drive them out before you.