And the LORD God called to Adam, and said to him, Where are you?…
1. Jehovah may suffer sinners to abuse His goodness, but He will call them to judgment.
2. The eternal God only, who is the cause of every creature, who hath made, and knows man, He will be Judge.
3. Adam and all his sons shall be made to judge themselves by the Lord.
4. God is not ignorant of the lurking places of sinners (Psalm 139).
5. God's inquiries are invincible criminations on sinners.
6. He that hides, cannot hide, and he that flieth, cannot fly from God.
7. Foolish sinners think themselves safe in hiding and flying from God, but God teacheth it must be by coming to Him.
8. Sin deals falsely in its speaking to the inquisition of God.
9. It is sin alone that makes God's voice so terrible, which sinners would conceal.
10. Sinners pretend their fear rather than their guilt to drive them from God.
11. Sinners pretend their punishment, rather than their crime, to cause them hide.
12. Sin makes souls naked, and yet souls cover sin.
13. How hard it is to bring a soul to the true acknowledgment of sin!
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?