Then Abram removed his tent, and came and dwelled in the plain of Mamre, which is in Hebron, and built there an altar to the LORD.
1. Faith gives immediate obedience unto God's advice.
2. Grace will untent souls anywhere, to go where God will have them.
3. God sometimes scatters brethren in the Church to carry saving knowledge to strangers; so here with Abram's motions.
4. God sometimes makes the places of His Church's habitation memorable.
5. The faithful cannot sit down quietly in any place without God.
6. God's promise draweth out the saints' worship of, and sacrifice to, Him.
7. Saints' worship is such as is instituted by God only, a single altar.
8. God's faithful ones desire to instruct others in the worship of God, so Abram to Mamre.
9. Jehovah terminates all his saints' worship and obedience. It is all to Jehovah (ver. 18).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Abram removed his tent, and came and dwelt in the plain of Mamre, which is in Hebron, and built there an altar unto the LORD.