And the king of Sodom said to Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to yourself.…
1. Grace denieth not civil returns to ingenuous carriages of men.
2. It beseems the children of grace to bind themselves by oath from evil.
3. Such oaths must be made to the true God only. It is part of His worship (Isaiah 65:15).
4. The being, power, height, and sufficiency of God, are enough to take of His servants from all engagements to men (ver. 22).
5. God's sanctified ones having enough in and from God, abhor to take from worldly men to His dishonour.
6. God's servants undertake no war for spoil but righteousness to redeem the oppressed.
7. Neither thread nor shoe latchet advantage will righteous souls take from the wicked upon their successes.
8. It is the believing magnanimity of the heirs of promise, not to be enriched by the world, though by right they may claim it (ver. 23).
9. Vows to God must not imply unjust things to men.
10. Liberality of some eminent saints must not prejudice the right of other men to give that away (ver. 24).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.