And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.
1. In the midst of death God's thoughts have been to direct sinners unto life.
2. God's thoughts are not only to give life but to reveal it in His own way.
3. God's goodness prevented sin from turning all into disorder. He keeps relations.
4. Grace makes the same instrument be for life, which was for death (ver. 20).
5. God pitieth His creatures in the nakedness which sin hath made.
6. God makes garments where man makes nakedness.
7. Garments are a covering of nakedness, but a discovery of sin.
8. Raiment should humble and not make men proud. The mischief of sin is to forget nakedness under fine clothes. It makes nakedness appear fine.
9. Suitable clothing was God's work for several sexes. For Adam and his wife. The law afterwards showeth this.
10. Gracious providence puts on clothes upon sinners' backs. Much of love (ver. 21).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.