And the angel of the LORD found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur.…
1. Christ was the angel of Jehovah sent to the Church in old times. As here (Isaiah 63; Matthew 3:2).
2. God finds sinners usually when they lose themselves.
3. God's finding of them is usually when souls are brought to great extremity.
4. God sometimes meets sinners when they are flying to his enemies (ver. 7).
5. God will have order and relations owned when sinners' servants may reject them. Sarai's maid.
6. God expostulates in displeasure with sinners for being where they should not be, leaving the place of calling and flying to other places. Here, servants, learn your duties.
7. Souls, when God expostulates with them, are brought to acknowledge their errors and sins (ver. 8).
8. God counsels sinners in His way when He bath convinced them. Return.
9. God will have domestic order maintained and servants to submit to governors, and suffer sorrow, rather than sin, and leave their places (ver. 9; 1 Peter 3:18).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the angel of the LORD found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur.