But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.
1. The time of vengeance on the wicked may be that of severe judgment upon the righteous who haste not from it.
2. Nearest relations may be sometimes the greatest crosses to God's saints.
3. Rebellion against God's express commands and threatenings is a provoking evil.
4. It is very evil to have withdrawing hearts from God's salvation and inclining to the wicked's destruction.
5. God sometimes meets with rebellion and apostasy in the very act, and judgeth it.
6. Eminent sins are answered sometimes with eminent judgments.
7. God can turn flesh into salt and stones, and He alone.
8. God maketh some of His severe acts of punishment to be perpetual examples against sin in all ages.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.