And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of the LORD, the everlasting God.…
1. Times of peace God makes to]His servants times of plantation. Such leave He giveth His people.
2. What was done by Abraham with God's approbation might be turned to sin by man's superstition. So the groves.
3. The saints' peace with the world sets them more seriously to serve God.
4. The name of Jehovah, even the eternal God, is the saints' satisfaction in all plantations (ver. 33).
5. God allows His saints sometimes a longer space of respite after troubles than at others. The longest space of quietness below is but a sojourning time of God's people. They are not at home. Heaven is the place of his rest, and so is to every true believer (ver. 34).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of the LORD, the everlasting God.