And the man came into the house: and he ungirded his camels, and gave straw and provender for the camels, and water to wash his feet…
1. Fidelity makes servants own and honour their masters in performing their trust, especially in the Church (ver. 34).
2. Pious souls know and acknowledge God to be the only author of the prosperity of His servants.
3. Prosperity of believers is God's blessing. This maketh rich and adds no sorrow (Proverbs 10:22).
4. God is not strained towards His in outward things, when they are good for them.
5. Greatness of estate and honour sometimes God uniteth unto godliness. So it was here with Abraham (ver. 35).
6. God's miracles should be related when they make to His praise, and His people's good. So doth he.
7. The heir of promise may be the heir of all things here below. So Isaac. So eminently Christ was.
8. It is but rational in seeking marriage to declare the state in measure which God hath given (ver. 36).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the man came into the house: and he ungirded his camels, and gave straw and provender for the camels, and water to wash his feet, and the men's feet that were with him.