Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.…
1. God records the time of His saints' lives to set out the continuance of their faith and patient waiting for God and His promise (ver. 7).
2. Saints give up spirits to God; they are not snatched away.
3. It is good dying in an age full of goodness.
4. Saints, as Abraham, depart full and satisfied with life below.
5. Saints are gathered to their own people in their death (ver. 8).
6. Honourable burial is due to saints deceased by their surviving seed, or friends.
7. God was as good as His word to Abraham in his death (ver. 9).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.