And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint:…
1. Gracious hearts take up those spiritual things which carnal men refuse.
2. Good souls may desire the best security for spiritual privileges, even in the way of having them from men. Swear to me, &c.
3. Souls spiritual are instantly desirous of spiritual things. This day.
4. The just desires of good men may be an occasion of sin to the wicked.
5. It is proper for wicked hearts to swear and sell away all the tokens of spiritual advantages.
6. God's providence orders wicked hearts in putting away from themselves mercy which was otherwise bequeathed by grace to them (ver. 33).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint: