And there was a famine in the land, beside the first famine that was in the days of Abraham…
1. Fruitful lands are made barren for the sins of the inhabitants.
2. Multiplied famine God sends upon multiplied abominations.
3. In common judgments on nations God's saints have special afflictions.
4. God provides a place of refreshing for His in times of straits.
5. Saints may avoid public judgments in the way which God shows them. In the day of such a public calamity they may retire from place of judgments, especially when God points them out places of safety.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And there was a famine in the land, beside the first famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went unto Abimelech king of the Philistines unto Gerar.