Then Jacob went on his journey, and came into the land of the people of the east.…
1. Providence maketh questions means to the satisfaction of His.
2. Sons are best known by the most eminent of their ancestors.
3. Nahor and his descent, with their way and religion, were known in Syria (ver. 5).
4. It is but Nature's dictate to inquire of the welfare of related friends.
5. Providence orders peace to others, that with them His servants may have peace.
6. Providence orders meeting of friends and comforts which man cannot project, and doth little think of, Here Jacob meets Rachel (ver. 6).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Rachel his daughter cometh. —
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Jacob went on his journey, and came into the land of the people of the east.