And it came to pass at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window of the ark which he had made:…
1. God in wisdom sometimes lengthens trials to the proof of the faith and patience of His saints.
2. Believing saints though God appear not, will stay contentedly forty days, that is, the time fit for His salvation.
3. Lawful means believers may use for their comfort, when there is no immediate appearance of God. Noah opens the window which God forbids not (ver. 6).
4. Visible experiments of the ceasing of God's wrath may be desired and used by His people where the Lord sets no bars.
5. Unclean, or the worst of creatures, may be of use sometimes to comfort the Church. As the ravens fed Elijah.
6. Instinct of creatures from God teach His people of His providences to them. (ver. 7).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window of the ark which he had made: