Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt…
I. MOSES DIVINELY WARNED OF PHARAOH'S DEMAND FOR A SUPERNATURAL CREDENTIAL. When men profess to bring a message from God, they should be prepared to substantiate it by satisfactory evidence.
II. MOSES DIVINELY SUSTAINED IN MEETING THE DEMAND.
1. God will never forsake those who go forth to implicitly work His will.
2. God often permits His enemies to temporarily triumph.
III. MOSES COMMANDED TO APPEAL AGAIN TO PHARAOH (vers. 14-17).
1. God's knowledge of the human heart.
2. God's knowledge of the purposes and plans of men.
3. God's recognition of free agency, and its correlative responsibility.
4. God deals with men on the basis of their moral freedom, and according to their constitutional nature.Lessons:
1. Here we have a type of the conflict of ages.
(1) In its spirit.
(2) In its aims.
(3) In its result.
2. The side to which we lean, and for which we fight, shows the party to which we really belong.
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments.