Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.…
I. PRACTICAL FEATURES OF OUR LORD'S PRIESTHOOD.
1. It is an argument for steadfastness in the Christian life.
(1) The fact that Christ is our Priest (ver. 14).
(2) That heaven is the sphere of the exercise of His priesthood.
2. It is an encouragement to the faith of the believer.
(1) Because of the sympathy of our great High Priest (ver. 15).
(2) Because of His personal experience of temptations.
(3) Because of His sinlessness.
(4) Believing prayer under such circumstances cannot be denied,
II. OUR LORD'S PRIESTHOOD CONFORMED TO THE GENERAL LAWS OF PRIESTHOOD.
1. The priest must be taken from among men (Hebrews 5:1).
2. The priest was ordained to offer sacrifices to God.
3. The priest was ordained to be ready to sympathise with the unfortunate and wretched (Hebrews 5:2).
4. The priest was not self-appointed (Hebrews 5:4).
5. But the change in the order of priesthood in our Lord's case is most suggestive and significant. It implies —
(1) Perfection (Hebrews 7:11-19).
(2) Perpetuity (Hebrews 7:20-25).
(3) That Christ alone could meet such requirements (Hebrews 7:26). Lessons:
1. The priesthood of Christ implies Divine qualities.
2. The sphere of the priesthood of Christ ensures the finished work as Redeemer.
3. The priesthood of Christ guarantees all-sufficient sympathy, assistance, and ultimate salvation.
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.