And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty…
1. Tyrants' commands are sometimes crossed by God's good hand.
2. The true fear of God, from faith in Him, will make weakest creatures abstain from sin.
3. The name of the only God is powerful to support against the word of mightiest kings.
4. God's fear will make men disobey kings, that they may obey God.
5. The fear of God will make souls do good, though commanded by men to do evil.
6. Life preservers discover regard to God, and not bloody injurious life destroyers.
7. God makes them save life whom men appoint to destroy it.
8. The good hand of God doth keep the males or best helps of the Church's peace, whom persecutors would kill (ver. 17).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty; and the land was filled with them.